Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Running in the cold

Okay, I know that most people don't live in 80 degree weather for most months out of the year, but when it gets down in the 50's, I am freezing! This morning was the hardest workout I have done, it was 54 degrees and I had to do sprints.

I decided to do some research because I could not run as fast as I normally could. My nose was running and my legs were tight. I wear long tights everyday (even when it is 90 degrees outside) because they are a good way for you to keep your legs warm while you are warming up. I don't mean warm as in hot.

The term warm in track means to keep them ready and fresh. If you get cold you seem to tighten up which isn't good because you can easily pull something.

After doing some research I found out that one of the most important ways to stay warm is to protect your hands and feet. As much as 30% of your body heat escapes through your hands and feet. If I would have known this I would have ran in thicker socks and mittens!

Also, I found out to stay away from cotton clothing because the cotton keeps the moisture in your clothes which will make you colder. I had on three cotton t-shirts today, so I was extremely cold.

There are many different types of cold weather and for many people they are different from what I consider cold. Growing up in Florida hasn't really taught me the meaning of cold weather.

Dr. Stephen Pribut has this great website which he classifies the different types of cold weather and what he suggests you wear. Check out his website in order to stay warm while you are going to workout!

Stay warm!

No comments: